Saturday 6 February 2010

Day 33: Bedroom Desk

An upside down carton of Ben & Jerry's; Chocolate Fudge Brownie variety - empty. A Kit Kat Chunky wrapper. A cereal bowl sandwiched between two dirty plates, garnished with forks and spoons. Poking out of bowl is the stringed paper tag of a Peppermint teabag. Beneath all of this is a copy of Bayonetta, and a frayed red pack of Colorama printed photos. The photos are around 10 years old, and depict me and my childhood friends walking around a forest, taking it in turns to dress up as a big pink gay robot called J.I.M.M.Y-12.

Three empty bottled of Carlsberg create a perfect diagonal line towards my small silver PC speakers, which are pumping out Midlake at a considerable volume. Atop the left speaker sits the unboxed disc for Modern Warfare 2, and beside it there is a Tanglewood electronic guitar tuner, and a tall tin of Oust spray. A 22" black LG monitor dominates the glass desk, trapped beneath the corner of its stand is a small felt bag that came with my Flip camera - it's covered in dust, and looks filthy. Three receipts; two from Salisbury's, one from Gamestation. Three pound coins poke out from beneath these, bunched together to create a very rounded tri-force. The torn off corner of the packet of a Nutri-grain elevenses bar. Raisin, obviously.

Two mugs of half finished tea sit to my right - both went cold whilst I was playing Mass Effect 2 or furiously blogging. Drinking tea is great, but sometimes just the process of going to make one is all you need to fire the brain up. My black standard issue Microsoft optical mouse sits atop a 2008 diary; used more effectively now than it was in 2008. This mouse lacks the handy side buttons that the one in the office does - I always forget this and end up instinctively pressing non-existent buttons with my thumb. The cream Microsoft keyboard is six years old, and filthy. I'd like a new one, but it invokes so many memories that I don't have the heart to throw it out.

Behind the keyboard are a pair of 90's styled sunglasses with awful off-white zebra print sides. I bought them for $5 when shopping in the rougher side of downtown LA with a great guy called Paul from OPM Australia. They make me look like a total prick, and I love them to bits. Beneath my keyboard is a black felt tip pen, a bright yellow cigarette lighter, and the wrapper for a Boots nicotine patch. A PSP; no battery. Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, The Force Unleashed - stacked. A pair of silver nail clippers. A mug of tea - fresh. Hurrah.

1 comment:

  1. I remember those sunglasses. The consensus was "for $5 who gives a fuck if they're shit or not," and then that guy meekly tried to mug you at the pedestrian crossing for your bottle of water because he was drunk. The glasses played no part in his trying to pinch your water, but it was an amusing episode regardless.

    Also, typo. Sorry to be a buzkill (what does that even mean?) "trapped beneath the corner of it's stand". Lose the apostrophe. Sorry. You're consistently making this error, so at least you're always predictably wrong.

    ReplyDelete

eXTReMe Tracker